Zoom out to choose another town
East Kilbride is a large suburban town in the South Lanarkshire council area, in the West Central Lowlands of Scotland. Designated as Scotland's first new town in 1947, it forms part of the Greater Glasgow conurbation. The area lies on high ground on the south side of the Cathkin Braes, about southeast of Glasgow city centre and close to the boundary with East Renfrewshire.
The town is enclosed by the River Cart to the west and the Rotten Calder to the east, the latter flowing northwards to join the River Clyde near Cambuslang. This area was previously the site of the small and historic village of East Kilbride, prior to its post-war development. The modern settlement serves both as a dormitory town for the city of Glasgow and maintains its own commercial centre.